A Little Sprinkling

ORIGINAL, UNIQUE WEARABLE ART

Today, with so many men and women working outside the home,

it is rare to find time to indulge your passions...like art!

A favorite quote on a Mary Engelbreit drawing gives me encouragement:

"You're never too old to be what you might have been."

Make time to enjoy what you truly love. I'm just beginning the journey.

My Links (also, flikr):

http://www.mydreamgarden.etsy.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Dream-Garden/108203335873284

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fireworks and Searching for Independence

Independence...

This evening after dinner with friends, fireworks lit up the sky. It was so lovely with the temperature perfect, the doors and windows open and the four of us just sitting there, chatting, watching with delight. A feeling of "independence".

Seems to me that one can never get enough of fireworks. After seeing them once or twice, I'm still excited to share the experience with someone a second or third time. One year we laid on our backs on blankets on a hill and watched fireworks directly overhead--sparks and burning paper falling all over its audience--while the band played John Phillip Sousa's music. So appropriate for the occasion. Sights and sounds of "independence".

We've watched fireworks from our garage roof, from the back of a truck, sitting in the middle of the road, driving down the road, standing up through our sunroof, from inside a boat, standing on the dock (of a bay) at my sister's, at Disney World, at Kings Island, up north over the bay, from the top of the hill, and many other places. Watching the fireworks has been quite a sensation ever  since I was a kid, and I'm still a kid, and I still enjoy a good fireworks display and feeling "independent".

Tomorrow is OUR celebration of Independence Day. We'll have a great potluck, talk, have a drink, celebrate a birthday or two, then hit the dock again, where we can see fireworks from four surrounding communities all at one time! It's great! And what we're celebrating isn't just fireworks, my great-niece's and my nephew's birthdays, or all the good food; we're celebrating for everyone who knows "independence" in the true sense of the word.  I hope that someday that's you and me!

"True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made."
Franklin D. Roosevelt 


Nevertheless, I'm still happy to be an American!

Miss Searching for Independence

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Trenton, MI, United States
Art is my passion. My shop at mydreamgarden.etsy.com is just a little jaunt. Please stop by my shop anytime and also follow this blog. Feel free to leave comments, especially positive ones! I invite constructive criticism as well; it makes for continued growth. Write me: mydreamgarden@wideopenwest.com. "itsmydreamgarden" on Yahoo. Google "mydreamgarden" and link to my Etsy website from there. You can also get to my Etsy page from this blog. Go to my Profile and click on the link. Thanks for stopping by. Have a day that's filled with wonder! Therese